Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Why I Love Fantasy Football

I am not a gun slinging Quarterback, I am not a shut down Corner Back, I am not a sure handed Wide Receiver,  I am not a key piece on the Offensive Line, I am not a professional football player in any way shape or form. The only football player I bear any physical comparison to is Brandon Banks (5 foot 7, 155 pounds)

I am not happy at my current job, it is under whelming, it is not stimulating, the pay is terrible. Fantasy Football provides a welcoming distraction to the day to day grind. Not every football fan has the ability to go out and play football,  most people will never obtain the money to own a football team, and not every person you know happens to be a general manager or even an employee with a professional sports team.

Fantasy Football allows you to own and manage your own team. Fantasy Football leagues are fun! You can play for free, you can play in paid leagues on the internet, or you can have a league with  prizes with your friends. Last season I was in two leagues, I managed my team The Funs to a regular season championship, and post season title! My other team won the constellation playoffs and I did not end up having to pay a league fee (a great constellation prize). 

Fantasy Football can make you a bit crazy at times. It can make you cheer for players you never thought you would. Last year I ended up cheering on Ike Taylor. A corner back for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I had a small lead on my opponent and needed Tory Smith to not produce points as he had in previous weeks. It was the Monday Night Football game. I watched the Steelers and Ravens duke it out and was overjoyed when Torrey Smith did not produce enough points for my opponent to win. Ike Taylor was my main man that night, shutting down Torrey Smith.

The Fantasy Football season is tough, just like the regular NFL season.Your team will battle injuries, you will often face key personnel decisions leading up to the game. "Do I start Joe Flacco, or Tony Romo?" You will be kicking yourself when you make a wrong decision, you will be over joyed when you make the right decision leading up to a game. Last year my friend picked up Danny Woodhead when he had one of his biggest weeks of the season!

Fantasy Football lets armchair Quarterbacks around the world have fun. It lets aspiring GM's, super fans, and dreamers the chance to manage their own squad. The draft is one of the most fun parts of the season. It is where you pick your squad. You can elect to pick your favorite players or players you like. Many people do this. I have many friends who pick with personal bias. If that is how you want to play that is fine! I choose to pick players based off their stats. I study the numbers, try to crunch them, I try to spot tendencies, trends, and find value every step through the draft. That is what this blog is dedicated towards. This blog is my attempt at formulating winning fantasy football strategy. My draft strategy is not based on hoping guys will have good years, or the fact that some guys play on teams I like. My strategies are based on where there is value in drafting, where you can pick guys who have dropped in the draft, the low end and the high end, and other elements based on the numbers.

Hopefully the articles on this site can aide you in some way, and hopefully you enjoy the 2013 Fantasy Football Season! Good luck!

-Travis

1 comment:

Bruno Boys said...

fantasy football made fans out of the casual watchers and hardcore addicts out of the fans.And even if that gamble didn't pay off this year, the beautiful part is there is always next year.