Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Please Don't Tarnish The Best Sport In The World

I am a Canadian. Yet I am different then many in my country. I prefer football to hockey. Part of the reason is I believe football is officiated more legitimately. My ultimate irritation with hockey is when they completely abandon the rule book during the playoffs. The brand of hockey that gets you to the playoffs is not always efficient in the playoffs. The “make up call” is a real element in hockey. I do enjoy watching hockey and I cheer for my hometown Senators. But it pales in comparison to my love of football.

I watched games all Sunday and I watched the Monday nighter. I have done this for all three weeks of football save two Monday night games when I worked. Never have I seen so many scrums after the whistle (something that is constant and irritating in hockey), more questionable penalties, more inconsistency, and more confusing moments then I have this year in the NFL.

The tip of the iceberg has been reached. The Seattle Seahawks got away with injustice tonight. The Sydney Rice push off that was called as defensive pass interference was excusable. Yes it allowed the Seahawks drive to continue, yes it allowed them to gain over 30 yards, and yes it was a bad call. However defensive holding and pass interference was botched and questionable all game. The tip of the iceberg was the final play of the game. Golden Tate pushed off the defender. Okay we can let that slide. There are seldom calls on jump balls at the end of the game. The ball was then caught by Jennings. He fell to the ground and landed on his back with the ball. On the way down Tate grabs on but his hand comes off. The referees gave a touchdown to Tate. The play was reviewed and after all the evidence pointing to it being an interception the referees gave the touchdown to the Seahawks. John Gruden was livid in the booth. Players are responding negatively via twitter. Analysts across the television media are upset. Fans are upset. My friend I watched the game with was shocked and horrified as was I. I have seen many horrible calls this year. I saw the Cardinals almost lose a game due to an extra timeout being given to the Seahawks without a clock runoff. I have seen so much questionable officiating.

You can usually be content with a bad call. People make mistakes, bad things happen. However now it is not the same. The referees are completely altering the outcome of the games. They are taking the game out of the players hands. The Seattle Seahawks one a game tonight due to the Zebras, the black and white clad officials. It is a shame for that the Green Bay Packers had to suffer this injustice. Every team plays 16 games. One game in football often means the difference between higher playoff seating, or a wild card berth. It is a complete travesty. My friend often used to tell me how NFL officials had to be so intelligent. How the rules were so complicated, how many of them had high level or intellectual jobs when not refereeing. Maybe the normal refs had those standards I am not sure about the replacements. Maybe they are doing their best. I have no ill feelings towards these replacements. But something must be done. These refs are ruining the best game in the world. Football is probably the most complicated high level sport in the world. It somehow always managed to have the best officiating in the world. Please, Roger Godel, the NFL, don't allow this tarnishing of the best game in the world to continue.

Travis

No comments: